Back in June, I reviewed how to get the most value from your software after it’s launched. Now let’s talk about what happens after you complete the process of building a website. It’s not a one and done situation.
- Keep your website up to date. Generally speaking, keeping your site fresh and up to date is not only good for your users but for SEO as well! Making improvements to your site may help with the indexing of your site and help your site pop up in organic search results more often. There’s no hard and fast rule of how often to update your website. It depends on factors such as industry, services you provide, how important it is to you, time you have to dedicate to updates and budget.
- Analyze and check your website fairly often. Don’t get crazy and compulsively check your site every day for hours on end, but do check it regularly to make sure it’s accessible, fix any broken links, etc.
- Make sure your site isn’t slow! This is a biggie because of the incredibly fast pace of today’s world. It’s not an all-around bad thing that we’re impatient when it comes to the internet – we like to find what we need quickly and move on to the next task. If your site takes a whole minute to load, chances are people will not wait around to see what you have to offer and will probably never bother to find out.
- Be knowledgeable of what’s out there. Know what new technologies and devices are available, who your competitors are and what they’re doing, industry trends, different search engines (wait, there’s more than just Google…?!) – the list goes on and on.
- Find a partner to help you maintain your site. Creating and maintaining an optimized, user/mobile friendly, well-functioning and engaging website can be a challenge and very time-consuming. Sometimes it’s ok to let someone help you! Partner up with a reliable, trustworthy vendor to help with the maintenance so that you can concentrate on what’s important – your business. Your provider will be able to make sure your website is flowing well, background data is in order and overall website optimized regularly.